Dataman55

A compendium of great sites, a bit of humor, and some intriguing information. Dataman is surfing the web, so you don't have to. I don't ask you to agree with what you read here. These are just my opinions. I could be wrong. This site is only meant to provoke thought and conversation. Feel free to send me your favorite articles and sites to share. (Tell your friends. Let's spread some knowledge)

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Al Gore and the Internet

Here is a story from the left side of the fence. I don't usually read many liberal blogs. But every once in a while I see something that makes sense. This is such a story. Every knows that Al Gore took credit during the 2000 presidential campaign for creating the internet.

Or did he?

Here is an article that explains how words can be twisted into a lie by the opposition. I admit that I knew the truth about this in 2000. I have been a technologist for years. I have been online permanently since 1995. I watched the internet blossom and grow from the ARPANET into the worldwide force that it is. I know that that occurred for two reasons: early funding of the ARPANET project, and a decision made in 1995 to allow commercial traffic onto the internet. You may recall, as I do, that up until August 1995, commercial traffic was not allowed. Allowing commerce on the net is what spurred the entire boom. I really hate to admit this, but that is the one truly positive legacy of the clinton years.

You can read more here:

http://www.dailyhowler.com/dh120302.shtml

2 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hmm. I was also among those on-line in the early 1990s, but this I never knew. Thank you.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger dataman said...

I hate to admit anything good about the clinton years, but the phenomenon of the Iternet is certainly one of the bright spots.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Today's Day By Day Cartoon